Monday, June 4, 2007

who say's that?

i'm sure i've been noticable absent from my blogging but i've been back on nights this last week, this week too.


i dislike working nights mostly because i can't get back on to a normal schedule as soon as i'm done. i worked wednesday, thursday, friday night last week and i'm still finding that i can't sleep through the night. that said i can't really sleep in the day either, it's more like a series of naps where i always feel more tired when i wake up then when i went to bed. on the bright side only 2 more shifts before i get to go back on days.


last time i was at work one of the patient's on the floor invited me to her birthday party. of course i'm not exactly sure where "Deja house" is, so that might make getting there a little difficult but she seemed fairly confident in my abilities to get there.

I have never met anyone like this child. we had her up at the nurses station because she woke up at 5am and proceeded to watch tv, call her nurse in, go to the bathroom about a thousand times. this wouldn't have been a problem except that she had a roommate who really wanted to sleep. so we just brought her up to the desk with us and she entertained us for the next 2 hours. this child must have the soul of a 90 year old woman who's lived through 2 world wars, raised 15 children, and had to grow her own food and sew her own clothes her whole life. what adds to it is the fact that she's always had problem with her ears and now she's almost deaf in one of them so you have to practically yell for her to hear you (this was understandably another reason her roommate wanted her out of the room!)

at one point she turns to me and says, or rather yells "you know what katie, sometimes the kids at school make fun of me and it doesn't bother me. it doesn't bother me katie, you know why? because i know that they're just jealous. they're jealous because i have the beautty and they want it too. my mommy always tells me that if someone says something mean about you it's only because they don't feel good about themselves. there's a lot of kids at my school who don't feel good about themselves"

then there were many discussions on how if dr. craig wanted to come to her birthday he had to take her on a date first. and it had to be a cruise. and when the doctor asked if he did all that then could he come to her party she told him it all depended on how well he treated her. if he didn't treat her right the he could "forget it" because her mama told her "don't settle for a man who don't treat you like the queen you are"!!!! it's these moments that make me love my job so much. you don't have these conversations anywhere else.


so since i'm awake and my apartment is disgusting i should probably go and clean it. it hasn't been done in a while and there's some kind of funk coming from the kitchen, all very good reasons for me to go and clean.

No comments: