Friday, February 16, 2007

Cheese, it's what's for dinner


Today was my day off, i had such good intentions for my day. I had such big plans. I was going to go to the gym (and get a membership), i was going to try to find out why exactly my "check engine" light keeps coming on in my car, i was going to clean my apartment, and i was going to research long range digital cameras. Most of that stuff didn't happen, I did buy a bottle of wine and some cheese. It was once i got back home that i realized that i didn't have any other food in the house. Lucky thing it's damn good cheese.
I did research the cameras and subsequently bought one, the Canon PowerShot S3 IS, i'll let you know how it works out. I think it's a family trait that once we make up our minds about something we don't see the need to wait to accomplish it. In some cases this can be a good thing, it could even be described as a go-getter/can do attitude, but in other cases it can be more to my detriment. Case in point this camera. Did i really research it enough? Is this really the camera for me? Did i find the best deal? These are questions i may never know the answers to. However, what's done is done and i'll be honest, i'm not going to do anything about it now that i own the thing. I did have the presense of mind to purchase the extended warranty, i say you never know when your parents are going to get drunk and throw your camera off a table, in which case it's a good idea to have coverage for that.
Oh and Kell, I have been thinking about the sewing machine, don't let me forget it next time i come for a visit. i'm thinking the next "craft" i should attempt is curtains for my apartment. Half the blinds are broken and those that aren't are an incredible shade of ugly.
Before i go though, i have to share this story from work, perhaps i blog to much about life at work but i feel like i need to tell these stories somewhere and at least this way you can scroll through the parts that bore you. Anyways, when i was at work last thursday for some reason i was given all the MR/MRCP kids on the floor (that's Mentally Retarded/Mentally Retarded Cerebral Palsy for those not in on the lingo) one of which was a 16 year old girl. Who when you looked at her seemed completely normal, in fact the night nurse didn't even realize she was particularly delayed, she just told me that our patient was a little bit slower than most kids her age, turns out she had the mental age of a 6 year old. Picture this, this black girl, so beautiful, sitting in a hospital bed by herself watching Barney, not just watching but singing along, doing the hand motions, and in general oblivious to the rest of the world around her. She told me that Barney is her favorite show, when i asked her if she watched it at home she told me no, because the other kids told her she was too big for it and they made fun of her and told her she should be hanging out with boys. I told her that's ok, she can watch Barney if she wants to, she's not to big for him, and she doesn't need to hang out with boys if she doesn't want to. Then we watched and sang along to Barney for the next half hour.
It was the highlight of my day.
When I got her all packed up to go I gave her some princess stickers and one of the Child Life workers brought her a "bratz" doll, i have never seen a smile so big in my life! She gave me a big hug and told me she'd miss me, somehow i believe her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

some days it is better to buy cheese and wine then to do what you had planned. The story of the little girl was great. I miss you and your stories.
Love ya,
HOLLY